Data Privacy Notice for Students, Applicants and Alumni
General De Jesus College is committed to the protection of the privacy of its data subjects from whom it collects personal data in the pursuit of its legitimate interests and responsibilities as an educational institution, in a manner consistent with the Data Privacy Act of 2012 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations. GJC recognizes the confidentiality of personal data under its custody and adheres to the general principles of transparency, legitimate purpose, and proportionality in its data processing.
This notice provides information on what personal data is gathered by GJC about its current, past, and prospective students; how it will use and process this; how it will keep this secure; and how it will dispose of it when it is no longer needed.
In this Notice, we use the terms “personal data” and “data subject.” Personal data includes personal information, sensitive personal information, and privileged information. Data subject refers to an individual whose personal, sensitive personal, or privileged information is processed.
Collection of Personal Data
GJC collects personal data from its past, present and prospective students and parents. Such personal data which may consist of records (written or digital), photographic or video images, include the following, but is not limited to:
- Information you provide us during your application for admission. Upon application for admission, we collect personal data such as – but not limited to – name, address, place and date of birth, country of citizenship, gender, contact information, last school attended, religious affiliation, previous academic standing, academic credentials, birth certificate and photograph, as well as your legal guardian’s name, address and contact information.
- Information we collect or generate upon enrollment and during the course of your stay with us. Upon enrollment and during the course of your stay with us, we collect information on your academic or curricular undertakings, the classes you enroll in and scholastic performance, attendance record, medical record, etc. We shall also collect information for and in relation to co-curricular matters, such as outreach activities, as well as extra-curricular activities, such as membership in student organizations, leadership positions and participation and attendance in seminars, competitions and programs. We shall also collect information in connection with any disciplinary incident, including accompanying sanctions that you may be involved in. There will also be times when we will acquire other forms of data like pictures or videos of activities you participate in, via official documentation of such activities, or through recordings from closed-circuit security television cameras installed within school premises.
Use of Personal Data
GJC uses your personal data as permitted or required by law to pursue its legitimate interests as an educational institution, including a variety of academic, administrative, historical, and statistical purposes, such as but not limited to:
- evaluation of applications for admission and enrollment to GJC;
- processing confirmation of incoming, transfer, or cross-registering students in preparation for enrollment;
- recording, generating and maintaining student records of academic, co-curricular, and extra-curricular progress;
- recording, storing, and evaluating student work, such as homework, seatwork, quizzes, long tests, exams, term papers, theses, dissertations, culminating or integrating projects, research papers, reflection papers, essays and presentations;
- processing scholarship applications and other forms of financial assistance;
- establishing and maintaining student information systems;
- implementation of a learning management system;
- recording of online classes and uploading of the same in the learning management system (i.e., Google Classroom);
- sharing of grades between and among faculty members, and others with legitimate official need, for academic evaluations and deliberations;
- investigating incidents that relate to student behavior and implementing disciplinary measures;
- maintaining directories and alumni records;
- compiling and generating reports for statistical and research purposes;
- providing services such as health, counseling, information technology, library, sports, culture and arts, student publications, financial management, safety and security;
- managing and controlling access to school facilities and equipment;
- communicating official announcements;
- sharing promotional materials regarding school-related functions, events, projects and activities;
- soliciting your participation in research and non-commercial surveys sanctioned by GJC; and
- publishing of the school’s yearbook (i.e., The Silver Star).
Sharing of Personal Data
To the extent permitted or required by law, GJC may also share, disclose, or transfer your personal data to other persons or organizations in order to uphold your interests and/or pursue the school’s legitimate interests as an educational institution. GJC may share, disclose, or transfer your personal data for purposes such as, but not limited to:
- posting of acceptance to the school, awarding of financial aid and merit scholarship grants, class lists, class schedules, online, in school bulletin boards, or other places within the campus;
- uploading of recordings of online classes in the learning management system (i.e., Google Classroom);
- providing parents or, in their absence, those authorized by law, information about the student’s performance, health, safety, security and other concerns which are for the best interest of the student;
- providing educational institutions, companies, entities, and proprietors for purposes of scholastic ranking information or a certification of good moral character, upon request, for the purpose of admission;
- providing information to partner companies, firms and other similar organizations, in the case of GJC students that undergo immersion or on-the-job trainings;
- publication or posting of graduates and awardees during graduation and other academic or non-academic exercises;
- sharing for accreditation purposes;
- reporting and/or disclosing information to the government bodies or agencies (e.g., Department of Education or Commission on Higher Education), when required or allowed by law;
- sharing of information with entities or organizations (e.g., Nueva Ecija Private Pre-Elementary Schools Association, Nueva Ecija Private Secondary Schools Administrators’ Association, etc.) for determining eligibility in academic or sports competitions, as well as other similar events.;
- responding to legitimate inquiries verifying that you are a bona fide student or graduate of the school;
- conducting internal research or surveys for purposes of institutional development;
- sharing your directory information to the school’s Alumni Association;
- sharing list of students to insurance companies for insurance purposes;
- sharing information to external learning management system provider (e.g. Google Classroom);
- publishing academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular achievements and success (e.g., honors students, winners in academic and non-academic competitions, board exam passers and topnotchers, acceptance into prestigious higher education institutions, etc.) in school bulletin boards, website, social media sites and publications;
- sharing your academic accomplishments or honors and co-curricular or extracurricular achievements with schools you graduated from or were previously enrolled in, upon their request;
- promoting the school, including its activities and events, through photos, videos, brochures, website posting, newspaper advertisements, physical and electronic bulletin boards, and other media;
- live-streaming of GJC events;
- publishing communications with journalistic content, such as news information in publications, social media sites and news and media organizations; and
- publishing the school’s yearbook (i.e., The Silver Star)
Retention of Personal Data
Your personal data is stored and transmitted securely in a variety of paper and electronic formats, including databases that are shared between the school’s different offices. Access to your personal data is limited to GJC personnel who have a legitimate interest in them for the purpose of carrying out their contractual duties.
GJC will retain the personal data pertaining to the academic record of students and alumni indefinitely for historical, statistical and research purposes. Where a retention period is provided, all records after such period, shall be securely disposed of.
Rights of the Data Subject
GJC recognizes your rights with respect to your personal data, as provided by the Data Protection Act of 2012.
If you have any Data Privacy queries or concerns as it relates to your student records, you may contact our Data Protection Officer thru email at firstname.lastname@example.org.